Gardening is a great way to get some sun and stay active, but many people sustain injuries that can easily be prevented. Here’s some quick and easy tips that will keep both you and your garden looking and feeling great:
BEFORE you start:
1. Take a short walk to warm up the muscles, 10-15 minutes will do
2. Stretch your sides by extending one arm over your head and bend from the waist to the opposite side. Hold for 10-15 seconds
3. Stretch your thighs (the big muscles on the front of your upper legs). Put your hand up against a tree or wall for balance, bend your knee and reach behind with your opposite hand to grab the ankle. Hold 10-15 sec.
4. Stretch the back of your legs. From a standing position reach your hands to the sky; then, bending at the waist, reach toward your toes. Hold 10-15 sec.
5. Hold your arms out straight bend your wrist until your fingers point to the ground, and then up to the sky – alternate back and forth until you feel the stretch. Also, you can put your hands together in a prayer position, and push the palms together to stretch.
6. Work the shoulders. With your arms hanging at your sides, roll your shoulders forward, and than backward, 10 times each.
7. Stretch your spine, start by giving yourself a big hug. Then rotate to the left as far as it is comfortable, and then repeat to the right. Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 5-10 times.
8. From a seated position, bend from the hips keeping your head down to elongate and stretch the extensor muscles of your back. Reach for the ground!
It’s as simple as that. Stay healthy, enjoy the sun and happy planting!